• Historical Fiction
  • General Fiction and Women Writers
  • YA Fiction
  • Suspense and Thrillers
  • Memoirs and Non Fiction
  • Classics and Mashups

Sunday, October 23, 2011

"Night Stranger" by Chris Bojalian ~ Wonderfully Wicked and Scary!

WoooHoooo! An Up-Date~Even if I had to stay up all night to get it!


The band is playing on in my trek today to read my wickedly wonderful witchie book for the read-a-thon. So far I'm lagging behind because the book I wanted to read next, "The Dark Glamour" expired from my netgalley ebook and now I can't read it. Unless!! One of you has a Kindle or ebook copy you can loan me, that is.

If, or until that time, here's a review of "Night Strangers."



What others said:

The Washington Post - Keith Donohue
Bohjalian has been a reliable bestseller of literary and historical fiction, earning praise from critics and a large audience, but The Night Strangers represents a more sinister turn. It boasts all the trappings of a classic Gothic horror story…Bohjalian turns the screw right up to the unexpected ending and an epilogue that's truly shocking. That thump thump you hear as you read is only your heart leaping from your chest.

What Can I Say!

Can I say, "Unexpected!" This is not your Chris Bojalian of "Midwives." Oh, no! This is a Stephen King-ish Chris comin' out of the New Hampshire woods on a dark, isolated winter to claim his place as a demented dreamer living in a wreck of an old house too far away from citified people.

Taking your psyche in your own hands, read this book over Halloween because it is so freaky and spooky. I loved the involvement of the main character, Chip, a pilot who's his own fearful failure for crashing his plane and killing many passengers; and his young, strange twin girls. First of all it's scary right off the bat when Bojalian describes a cellar door secured with 32ish bolts that's the size of my osteopathic granny! I knew right then and there we were in for some trouble and it wasn't going to be sweet and enchanting, either.

This is a book for vegans and those who enjoy herbal tea, maybe. :] This is also a book for those who like things that go "bump in the night."

I was held captive by this book...loved it all the way through to the shocker of an ending. The characters are fabulous and freaky. The narrating voice is nearly invisible making for a feeling of voyeurism that made the book even more haunting. And, the plot, while some of it may have not been entirely unfamiliar in parts, was very well put together--suspenseful, scary, leading and misleading, horrifying. All the good ingredients for a perfect "tincture." Pull up a big, over-stuffed chair and a cup of herbal tea for this one.

 5 stars a spectre-ing

Deb/TheFanciful and Freaky Speed-Reading Wickathoner



Keeping me company right beside me today is "Pixie"...such a sweet little thing. She's a living dead darling, just a tiny problem in that she likes to lure children away, but she really doesn't know any better. I'm going to be watching her closely so she'll be just fine...I just hope my tiny Clara (my Yorkie) is okay...

0 comments:

Share your thoughts!

Blogaholic Designs”=